This product is currently not available
All-year-round hypoallergenic comfort in a naturally luxurious duvet
- Dustmite proof 100% cotton cover
- NOMITE® certified
- Eco-tex certified
- 90% European duck down 10% small feather
- 10 tog, lightweight and lofty
- Washable at 60˚- 90˚C
For many years people thought that if you had asthma or allergies you were automatically allergic to feathers. Today we know that the trigger for night-time asthma attacks, eczema flare-ups and rhinitis symptoms is either dustmite allergy or a reaction to the oils and bacteria in feather fillings that either have not been properly washed and sterilised or to the chemicals commonly used to eradicate them.
Those of you who have discovered FeatherFresh Pillows will have already experienced the benefits of sleeping on a natural traditional pillow filled with washed and sterilised goose feather and down. Now this beautifully made duvet offers the same opportunity to enjoy a night of safe, supremely comfortable sleep.
What makes the Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet safe for allergies?
• NOMITE® certified – guarantees dustmites cannot pass through the cotton cover into the filling, confirming that the Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet is fit for use by those with house dustmite allergy
• Downafresh® certified – guarantees the Class 1* European feathers have been washed and dried at over 100˚C to sterilise them and eliminate H5N1 strain (bird flu), keratin (scales from down and feathers), bacteria and mould, soap residues and other organic residues and to comply with the requirements of cleanliness and hygiene specified in the European standard EN 12934
• Eco-tex certified – guarantees no harmful chemicals. Tests have shown these duvets to be safe for those with allergies and asthma associated with dustmites, odours, pesticides, nickel, formaldehyde, chlorinated phenols, phthalates, chloro-organic carriers, caracinogenic and allergy-inducing dyestuffs.
|Bed size||Dimensions (cm)|
Down and Feathers - what you should know
Quality - how down and feathers are graded
Down and feathers can be labelled in three classes according to the EN 12934 standard. Our Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet uses new down and feathers of the highest quality (Class 1).
The other two classes (Class 11 and 111), are for inferior qualities that permit the use of down/feathers from used products that other people have slept in as well as foreign matters.
The lower the quality of down and the more feather a duvet contains, the lower the fill power and the ability to insulate.
Fill power - what is this?
Fill power as an expression of down's insulating ability and quality. A high fill power means that the down keeps you warm underneath the duvet. The lower the quality of down and the more feather a duvet contains, the lower the fill power and the lower the ability to insulate.
Our Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet uses a high fill power with 90% down and 10% small curled European feather to relieve the denseness of the down and allow free passage of air. The 10 tog rating is a comfortable all-year round weight.
|Bed size||Fill weight|
Types of down
Duck down is the most common type of filling and is widely used for the filling in duvets. Down from geese is usually larger than down from ducks and used in pillows. Eider down is the world's lightest and best insulating material. It is a very exclusive material, collected manually when the eider bird has left its nest. This exclusivity is reflected in the price of bedding using eider down.
Down from Muscovy ducks has similar properties to eider down but is more widely available. This is the down used for the filling of our Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet.
Caring for your Hypoallergenic Down & Feather Duvet
Shake your Duvet and air it every day,allowing it and your mattress to cool before making the bed so that moisture will evaporate. Fluff it up when you make your bed to keep your Duvet lofty, light and airy. Avoid direct sunlight. Never vacuum or beat it.
You'll need a 7kg washing machine for a single size Duvet, bigger for double or king.
Use an enzyme-free (non-bio) detergent and avoid the use of fabric softener. Wash at 60°C to remove surface dustmites and their allergen or at 90°C to sterilise. Tumble dry thoroughly using three tennis balls or our Dryer Balls to reduce drying time. Make sure the Duvet is completely dry as damp down and feathers can go mouldy.
This product is currently not available